Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Wayah Shelter to Nantahala Outdoor Center

Today was cold again. I woke up feeling terrible after very little sleep. I kept behind Pete for maybe 5 minutes before he was gone. I was cold and miserable all day and fought thoughts of going home all day. I ate very little and consumed too little water as the cold bore it's teeth into my will. I prayed for strength, peace of mind and better weather. I climbed the mountains with the strength of an 80 year old lady. pathetic . I was passed a few times on the trail but kept at it. the weather improved as did my mental state. I stumbled into The NOC mid afternoon and got my permit to enter the smokies and enjoyed hours of talking with other hikers. I got a shower and ate a burger. while other hikers revelled in the better weather and drank copious amounts of beer. I drank a couple of cokes and laughed at their stories. I think I'm hiking too fast and will try to slow down more in the coming days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment