Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Fontana Dam to Russell Field Shelter

The Hikers got up early to beautiful views over Fontana Lake. We got going early and crossed the Dam by 8:30 and began a 7.7 mile climb to Sassafras Gap, which I did surprisingly well, passing a lot of hikers and arriving at Mollies Ridge about 11 miles into the park, at around 2pm. the trail was nice filled with spring blossoms and more nicely graded than the trail in North Carolina had been. I was startled (nearly crapped my pants) when a group of four bears crossed the trail 20 feet from where I was walking. I think it was a sow, with three adolescent cubs. I decided to hike on to the next shelter,  Russell Field. I could have hiked longer, but settled in to this place. The ridge runner was there and eventually was forced by regulations to stay in the shelter which I never do, and had no sleep all night. snoring and all that. I really don't like the shelters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment