Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Hiawasee to Muskrat Creek Shelter

The Climb out of Georgia into NorthCarolina was very tough, I really struggled all day with sharp inclines. It was like somebody was stabbing my legs all day. I had lunch at plum orchard shelter and made to Muscrat creek Shelter in time for dinner with Pearl, Monkey Man, Trish, Waldo, Stormcrow, Energizer and Yoda. The campsites are crowded, and I know many of these folks will not be around for much longer. 20% of the thruhikers actually make it all the way to Maine, by a generous estimate and it could be much less than that. Most quit the hike within the first 400 miles, so I think the pack will thin out quite a bit. you can see some people are miserable, because the notion that this is some romantic adventure has begun to fade, and the fact that it's super hard work is starting to sink in. it's been so hard to battle these mountains and these elements, and to realize, despite all that, we are only 3% done! 
I tented creek side , and toured a plane crash site at raven rock side trail before bed. hard day but fun in camp. I finished the state of Georgia today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment