Thursday, May 1, 2014

Hampton TN to somewhere after Vandever Shelter

Today began at 6 am with a couple of jackasses from New York being loud in the common area of the Hostel. not surprising. The rainstorm that was supposed to happen hasn't appeared. i shot over to the laundromat after breakfast and noticed they didn't open till 11. bummer. I went back to the hostel and was undecided what to do. I went back and climbed Pond Flats in quick order (2&1/2 hrs) then returned to hostel and did my laundry, chatted with Space Cadet and Lost and Found for a bit and had lunch. 2:30 came and it still hadn't rained and I decided to head out and get to the first campsite by Watauga Dam. I bumped into Hawksbill at the trailhead and he was vomiting and writhing in pain. poor guy, I helped him get a ride to town, and I feared he has contracted the dreaded Norovirus, at Kincora Hostel last night. once on the trail the hike was super and I decided to hike until the rains fell. I pushed on and ran into Bobcat , Iron Chef and Sparky at a water source, Iron Chef was super ill as well. he looked white as a ghost and his trademark smile and cordiality was vacant. he stayed at Kincora last night. I was kind, but kept ten feet between us, and moved on. I pushed deep into the evening and ran into good pals Neckbone and Mud at 6pm. Neckbone was a bit ill but felt it was some spicy food he had eaten in Boone Nc the night before. I chatted for a bit , only because I love those boys, and moved on, as the shelters I never stay in anyway because they are filled with mice, rats and chronic snorers and farters. I hiked a little past there and the rain came hard and the fog rolled in. I stopped at a water source and set up my tent, and while retrieving water from a pathetic pool about three inches deep, ran into Seabiscuit, a young guy, who is suffering from this illness. he looked terrible. I scooted back to my tent and cooked up some noodles for dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment