Thursday, March 27, 2014

AT thru hike 2014 attempt

FOR DANA DEGREGORIO 



I'll keep this part short because nobody really cares about it. I sold my business last month so I am doing something I always dreamed of doing. I'm not sure if I can, since thru hiking the Appalachian Trail is one of the hardest tests of ones mental and physical stamina. I have no doubts I was made to do this, excepting a very bad knee , which concerns me . I am not going through some existential crisis, as some assume, I just feel the need to measure my abilities and test my strength in an extreme way, and I love the outdoors and trees and plants. The AT as it's called is 2,189 mile footpath that runs over the appalachian mountain chain from Georgia to Maine. virtually every step is on a 20 inch wide strip of soil that covers countless peaks along the way. The AT is very steeply graded and is physically grueling . the vistas are not what you see out west, as the hiker is covered in a green tunnel of cold, wet, heat, humidity, bugs, mice, bears, deer, and hikers . the people are nice out there, living a Thoreau like life of natural splendor, and love and kindness to one another. it's a remarkable experience. 
I'll need luck and prayers, as somewhere between 10-25% of folks that set out to do this actually accomplish the task. I'm leaving April 1 from Springer Mountain in Georgia. I'm nervous but excited! 
I'm always going to remember to late brother Dana, I want to make him proud, he knew I always wanted to do this, thought I was crazy, but wanted this for me. it's been a year since he passed, and I miss my best friend tremendously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment